The milk and bread etc. are purchased and stowed.
The yard's mowed.
I'm unpacked and working on a week or so worth of laundry.
The dishes are done, the kids are fed...well the plants are watered and I'm sitting on the couch all reflective-like.
I learned some things down in San Antonio:
1. San Antonians fold paper bags oddly. I can't really explain it much, but it's like they fold the top down and in so there's a short bag with a big hole.
2. Things sometimes fall out of this oddly folded bag, tortillas for instance.
3. Red Grammy has some neighbors with some serious yapping dogs, about 20 of them. They liked to talk to Red two and me most anytime of the early morn.
4. Never wear a dress to an airport with one of those air puffy things that test for gunpowder and bomb residue.
5. If I ever travel with Red Two again Im going to make her wear clothes with large velco strips and any time we go anyway I'll just stick all her stuff to her so we make sure we have it. *She did it again several times, one final time leaving her backpack in Abi's van when she dropped us at the San Antonio airport.*
6. The outlet mall(s), (there are two that neighbor one another) in Texas are beyond ridiculous. I have NO IDEA why ANYONE would think it a good idea to go there at midnight the day after Thanksgiving. It was nuts enough in September.
7. If the medium shirt fits perfectly, Red two B thinks "ok, great...I'll get the extra large." Then, we find ourselves going back to said ridiculousity the next day.
8. I'm glad Abi went into the Army as a nurse and not with desires to be a taxi driver or tank commander. They'd need lots more nurses if she drove things.
9. The story of the Alamo is largely and admitantly "made-up" by the Texans. The only thing they really know is that Santa Ana won (the first time.)
10. There is a larger than life portrait of Bill Clinton in a huge (and very good) old "authentic-Mexican" restaurant called Mi Terra. I'd highly recommend it, but try to sit somewhere where Bill's not staring at you while you eat your fajitas.
11. When you visit Maranatha Baptist Church they make people stand up so they know you're a visitor. It was pretty obvious before we stood up, but we stood up just the same.
12. Andrew loves Taco Cabana tortillas. So does the entire Red team. They're worth the plane ticket alone.
13. Red leader likes to start duck fights on the river just to give me a stroke.
14. Red two sometimes likes to scream when semi-trucks seem to want to kill you as you attempt to merge onto the interstate in the middle of the night in a dramamine haze.
15. "Jesus" sometimes joins you (and even offers you his seat) on the shuttle back to the airport economy parking lot. He was on his way back from New Hampshire.
It was a good trip. Now when I get "the dementia" from red two, I'll be able to come back here and remember because it's all in virtual black and white.
Thanks to the whole red team:
Red leader
Red two A
Red two B
Red three
Red Grammy
and
Red Toad
It was a great weekend.
We'll see you soon Red two B. You're our favorite Army Warrior and we're very proud of what you're doing.
Trained to save, in more ways than one!
Hooah.
Monday, September 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You know, that velcro idea ain't half bad...
Another thing I learned....
Make sure when you set your alarm that it's in the same time zone as you are.
just statin' the facts.
Sooann, what do you mean by that?
We're so glad all the Red team is back home. We missed you at Outdoor game night and Wolf Park.
Red Two B was very glad for the reinforcements. Thanks for the encouragement, sound advice, laughter.....and laughter (the medium fits perfect, can I get it in an extra large?? LOL). Red team can rest assured that you made a difference, and accomplished the mission! Much love, 2Lt. McManigal (Red 2b, Abbi)
Post a Comment