Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Fountain

I stayed up too late last night talking to people, (I don't understand this phenomenon, I'm really not that interesting). Anyway, I didn't think twice when I set my alarm for the normal 6 oclock. I hit the snooze a "couple" times and ended up finally deciding at 6:39, I'd better get moving.

It was at that moment I realized, OH MY WORD, I'M SUPPOSED TO BE AT WORK FOR A MEETING AT 7:30. And this was a meeting where all the important people were so I needed to look like a professional, not somebody that rolled outta bed late and threw on some clothes.

So, I rush around, get ready, drive like crazy to get to work,(I mean, I drove 2 miles per hour under the speed limit just like I always do, because I want to be extra cautious,(remember the pastor's wives are watching)) about fall down the stairs of the parking garage and start RUNNING in my floppsie sandles across campus (yes people, I can run, no it's not pretty, I was shot put state champion remember, not 400M).

I have to pass the Founders Park fountain, which is actually right outside my office window. While I'm racing past I look over, as I do, because it is a pretty fountain and there's this guy (a normal looking sort) trying to drink (water which I'm going to say wasn't treated for drinking, that's as far as I'll go) from one of the jets (the ones that point toward the center if you linked to the picture), and I had these thoughts...

"For with You is the fountain of life;
In Your light we see light"

~Psalm 36:9

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled"

~Matt 5:6

"but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life"

~John 4:14

OK, no I didn't have those thoughts, but I wish I would've and I thought maybe if I mentioned the fact that I know that those are the thoughts I should've had that maybe the pastor's wives wouldn't call me into their husbands offices for telling you what I really thought.

Which was: Hmmmm, I wonder where the control for the water pressure is for that thing...

4 comments:

laurie d said...

Oh Melissa, I'm afraid all this scary talk of lurking pastors wives has caused many of your readers to retreat into hiding. (I suppose we could formalize this phenomenon and give it a smart-sounding name, such as "blurking" or "bliding" due to the fear of having the non-speeding PW's view and report any unsavory behavior to their husbands and hence have them called in to their husbands' offices -- after all, we all know that PW's are the blog police!) See what you've done by exposing the formerly and safely hidden PW's? Can this be remedied?

M. Kate said...

Laurie,

I was SOOOOO joking. I'm glad you're around, happy even that you take your valuable time to read occasionally.

There's nothing held within I would be scared of you reading. I'm kinda the "this is me girl, like me or not, it's ok" and people know that. Blog traffic comes and goes, they're not scared of you. Well, I say they aren't, if they are, well, they shouldn't be. Feel free to lurk and post at will.

You're most welcome. I'm not worried.

M. Kate said...

And by the way, I do speed too often, I'm regularly told that by a couple of my speep limit observing friends. So, it'd be ok if you called me into your husbands office, I'd deserve it. And to be completely honest as I was writing that I remembered P. Dutton sharing with us how Caleb called him out for rolling through a stop sign on their way to Indy one morning, (I laughed hysterically) during one of the counseling conferene sessions. :)

So, if ever you see something worthy of a call to the office, I'm cool with it and I'd expect it. I shouldn't be any more cautious about my posts knowing your reading. The whole world could potentially be reading and we all need to remember this media is a form of witness as well. Right? Right. Okay, please carry on the "blurking. ":)

laurie d said...

Okay, whew! Well, I feel better. (And as a good friend of mine says, "And isn't that the goal?") Of course I knew you were teasing, as was I. I was telling Jeannie today that I appreciate the fact that we can have fun with all of this. I appreciate your candor (okay, everyone speeds sometimes...) and your 1 Jn. 1 attitude- walking in the light (from a famous sermon by PV -- having an open attitude toward the exposure of my sin). We should all welcome that iron-sharpening-iron friendship with one another. Thanks for being a good example in that!

 
hit counters