Saturday, March 10, 2007

Corn Starch and Water

We have Bible study tomorrow night, so this morning I'm working on something to take along to satisfy your sweet tooth. I was thinking with the weather feelin' all springy-like, that I was going to have to go down a culinary road that always gives me a touch of anxiety. The road’s name, of course, is lemon. While I could travel the lemon trail any day of the week, I’ve been told that “most” people aren’t as excited about it . “You either love it or you hate,” they say. And, I don’t hate anything more than taking some food product to something and watching as everyone passes over it and heads to the next item down the line. So, it’s a little risky, but I decided to chance it.

I decided on this “Lemon Cream Dessert” – which is a TOTAL hassle with about a thousand steps via a thousand processes. This all resulting in something, that if someone actually does enjoy and asks what it is, I have to reply with that horribly lame and generic name, why do people do that – if I ever publish any recipes, you better bet they’re gonna have more fun names than “Lemon Cream Dessert,” something like "Dessert ala Crème de Lemon"…ok so I’m not creative either, just keep quiet and enjoy the fact that I can cook and you’re reaping the benefits.

Believe it or not the point of this post is not to carry on about my culinary angst, but rather that during the process of creating the lemon curd for this blasted thing, something dawned on me – and on the rare occasion that my brain works as God intended it to – I need to tell someone. Lucky you!

The first step to making lemon curd is to heat sugar, cornstarch and water. I’m standing at my stove stirring and stirring and stirring and all the sudden I’m thinking of Gknee’s corn starch and water story. If, you’ve been deprived of hearing this story, I’ll give you the short version (I hope I get it right). Jeannie’s attending school and she happens upon a young man that asks her if she knows what corn starch and water make, she (thank goodness) does not give him the reply he’s looking for. He goes on to explain, that corn starch and water make gravy and that his future wife, will of course know the answer to this question.

First, nice way to find God’s will for your mate buddy, second, you’re a moron. Corn starch and water make a thickening agent – as in my lemon curd or perhaps gravy, but this further adds to his unintelligence because anyone who knows anything about where gravy was born knows that real gravy people use flour, only Yankees use corn starch.

Now, back to my point, this poor nut job is seeking the answer to a question HE doesn’t even know the answer to. So, in order for his brilliant plan to work, he’s going to have to find another person that’s as equally uninformed.

At this point, in my winding trail of thoughts I realize I’ve nearly ruined my thickening agent (note to you who don’t understand, this is why I can’t multitask, whatever I’m focusing on tends to block out ANYTHING else that’s happening around me, standing in front of a stove while stirring or not).

So, the perplexing thought that came to mind via my corn starch and water moment? How often are we looking for an answer we’ve falsely assumed to be the correct one?

And…how many people out there have had the misfortune of taking a foods class, taught by Bozo the Clown. Seriously, this guy deserves a refund AND damages for pain and suffering, this is NOT going to end pretty.

30 comments:

MadMup said...

While you made several good points and I appreciate your insights, the minute I read "lemon cream dessert" I started salivating and can't really focus on anything else.

Anonymous said...

Does it have chocolate in it too?

Dana said...

Ah the gravy story...Yes, thank goodness she did not have the answer that guy was looking for! Your dessert sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

You should call it citrus gravy delight or lemon stroganoff. Or beef meringue pie! Also have you seen the episode of Friends where the pages of the cookbook get stuck together and Rachel makes half a shepherds pie recipe and half a trifle? It’s all meat and cake and peas and pudding! Arf.
Also, This is north of the Mason Dixon line, so technically you're a yankee. However, since you made us a delicious lemon gravy dessert for tomorrow I'll let it slide. I wouldn't get in the habit of throwing around the "y" word though.

Unknown said...

good stuff.

I look forward to trying the Lemon Gravy Delight :-)

Anonymous said...

Crap. Got stuck at work. Didn't get any sour citrus casserole.

Dana said...

Steven-It was pretty good, too bad you missed it!

Mel- SORRY! I feel bad but you actually "asked" for it! At least now you don't have to worry about someone lurking around outside your house and Jeannie wanting to call the police!!!

M. Kate said...

Thanks to all you lemon eaters for easing the product delievery anxiety.

Steven - wondering where you were hiding tonight, sorry you had to work!

Dana - you did me a favor chica, no worries!

Dana said...

If you say so.

The Rock Star said...

I find your posts entertaining. Despite only having met you once, I will continue to post comments.

I was REALLY hoping you would say corn starch and water formed a polymer substance. However, I am sure only myself, and maybe Marshall, would have thought about that.

For fun, take some corn starch and water and mix it up. Then, let it drip through your hands. Then, pound at it quick with your fist. The crosslinking of the polymer structure becomes apparent when it is pounded, but it is not entangled when you just let it run through your fingers.

At least, I think it is interesting... Then again, I am a HUGE nerd. And... I love chemistry! :)

Dana said...

Yes, no one but you thought of that...

Unknown said...

ya, I thought of that stuff too ;-)

(I work with starch and water every day at work, but I realize most of you can only tolerate so much of my Chemist side, say i say things like..)

the Lemon Gravy Delight was super tasty!

Unknown said...

Oh, AND I was "juiced-up" tonight. But not enough I guess as per m.kate and wendles' opinions.

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa,

Man, sorry i missed the lemon dessert! It sure sounded good.

I loved the food post! You know that pretty much anything that comes out of your kitchen will taste awesome!

You know....Alton has a great GE's show with an awesome lemon curd recipe! If you want to borrow it, just say the word! lol!

It is also called a slurry too, isnt it?

Jeremiah

Dana said...

Jonell -I take it back...Marshall apparently had thought the same thing!

Marshall-I have no clue though what you meant by "juiced-up"...

So did an one else get "tagged" tonight after I left?

M. Kate said...

You people, cracking me up...

Marshall - like the chemistry roll, we can take it. Remembered thanks to Pete we're calling it "sauced" now - and I just like to say - I LOVE THAT MY BLOG HAS SUCH AN EFFECT ON PEOPLE, OH THE POWER! :) - Great first round trial Marshall - much better to be a little short on the sauce than over sauced.

Dana - seriously, I LOVE YOU FOR KILLING ME

Jer - yep but i figured you and I were the only ones that wouldn't be confused by that - indeed is a slurry. AND, I think I mighta scene that episode, b/c I remember thinking - I need to print that!

M. Kate said...

Oh and Jonelly, thanks for the kind words - that helps my destroyed self esteem, since Marshall said my posts are long and boring :(

M. Kate said...

Steven,

I HAVE seen that episode, VERY FUNNY! And, don't forget, I ain't from these parts. I'll never achieve your "full dixie status" but, no yankee am I.

MadMup said...

I must weigh in here and say the lemon thing was fan-stinkin'-tastic.

Totally.

Anonymous said...

had no time to try the lemon - i was being chased down on the lawn by a large bald guy... :(

any left?

Anonymous said...

You said slurry.

M. Kate said...

You said:

Sour Citrus Casserole
Citrus Gravy Delight
AND
Lemon Stroganoff

I think you win.

Unknown said...

Saturday night I didn't mean to imply that your posts are long and boring :-( I just said that I hadn't read it closely yet.

I stand corrected, "juiced-up" was quite improper.
But "sauced" just makes me feel like a piece of meat...

Anonymous said...

Okay. Was Marshall drunk? At. Bible study?

M. Kate said...

OK PEOPLE - If you're going to post here pay attention (Sturm). On the red couch Sauced is defined as "currently wearing cologne."

Wendy referenced cologne in column a - cheeseburger (not so good stuff - old spice, stetson etc.), column b - steak (the goods - Hugo Boss, Polo, Curve) - SO...when someone is packin' the goods - they're sauced. NO DRINKING OCCURED NOR WILL THERE EVER BE AT BIBLE STUDY - WE ARE BAPTISTS, for those that have yet to read the sign :).

I do apologize for the cross-definitional terms...we all clear now.

Petey said...

STEAK Sauced to be specific. Cause we want to be, as Wendles put it, Mmm Mmm good. ;)

YUMMY!!!!

M. Kate said...

*Sigh*

Remind me again why I like you people?

M. Kate said...

And Marshall - you did say, and I quote "well the are kinda long, so I tend to skim" - but whose keeping track?

M. Kate said...

KEY REMINDER - Melissa's love language is Sarcasim (solidified as an option by P. Viars, so I don't want to hear any objections!). - Love you guys!

MadMup said...

So "steak" is as high as the chart goes? I think there should be options for specific steaks - bison steak is particularly tasty, for instance.

I'd like to see some charts and graphs here.

 
hit counters